Transit Around Philly
Table of Contents
The conference venue is located in the heart of Center City Philadelphia (i.e. "downtown"), a few blocks from City Hall. The amenities within walking distance of the Pennsylvania Convention Center are extensive- see Philadelphia Tourism and Visitors Bureau.
- Base Cash Fare: $2.50 per ride.
- SEPTA Key Card Travel Wallet Base Fare: $2.00 per ride
- Transfers: $1.00. You must have a SEPTA Key Card with money loaded on the Travel Wallet.
- Weekly Transpass (SEPTA Key Card): $25.50
- One Day Convenience Pass (SEPTA Key Card): $9.00
- Trolleys, buses, and subway all operate on the same fare system.
- Cash is accepted for travel on all services. Exact fare must be used.
- The cost to purchase a SEPTA Key Card is $4.95. If you register your card within 30 days of the purchase date, the $4.95 purchase fee will automatically be applied to the card Travel Wallet.
Regional rail fares depend on the specifics of your trip. Tickets cost more if purchased on board a regional rail train than if you by them at a station (for instance, at the Jeffereson Station, just a block from the conference venue). You must have cash to pay on-board regional rail and most stations are not open for ticket sales in the afternoons, evenings and on weekends outside of Center City.
By SEPTA Bus: Numerous SEPTA buses run through Center City near the conference venue. The 48 runs west-bound along Arch St in front of the main conference venue, as well as east-bound along Market Street. A number of bus routes provide some form of east-west service along Market Street, including the 17, 31, 33, 44, and others.
By SEPTA Regional Rail: SEPTA Regional Rail service connects Center City Philadelphia and points throughout the region (including the Philadelphia International Airport, Trenton, NJ and Wilmington, DE).
All Regional Rail trains go through the three "Center City stations" (Jefferson Station, Suburban Station, and 30th Street Station). Jefferson Station is only a block from the conference venue.
Transportation between the three Center City stations is free. Other regional rail fares depend on the specifics of your trip. Tickets cost more if purchased on board a regional rail train than if you by them at a station (for instance, at the Jefferson Station, just a block from the conference venue). Cash is accepted on all trains.
The airport line (train) runs to/from each terminal every half-hour and stops at Jefferson Station (1 block from conference venue). The fare from the airport to/from the Jefferson Station is $6.75 one way.
SEPTA has two subway lines.
- The Market-Frankford Subway Line runs east-west. For PTWC purposes, the closest stations are at Market and 11th and at Market and 13th -- each just two blocks from the conference venue. The Market-Frankford line includes stops at 30th Street (train) Station and in West Philadelphia (to the west), as well as in historic Old City (to the east near Independence Mall).
- The Broad Street Line runs north-south. For PTWC purposes, the closest station is at City Hall which is at Broad St and Market St, just three blocks from the conference venue.
There is a free transfer between the Broad Street Line and the Market-Frankford Line at City Hall (Broad Street Line), 13th Street (Market-Frankford Line), and 15th Street (Market-Frankford Line). You can also transfer to trolley service in this complex.
By SEPTA Trolley: SEPTA Trolley service provides underground transit between 13th Street (at Market Street) and 36th Street (in West Philadelphia), with several stops in between (including City Hall and 30th Street (train) Station. At 36th Street, the trolleys come above ground and proceed to points further west. The 13th Street station is only 2 blocks from the conference venue.
There is a free transfer between trolleys and the subway trains at 30th Street Station (Market-Frankford Line), City Hall (Broad Street Line), 13th Street (Market-Frankford Line), and 15th Street (Market-Frankford Line).
By PHLASH Bus: The PHLASH bus is Philadelphia public transportation catering specifically to tourists. It runs May through October. You can get on or off at 27 key locations throughout Center City Philadelphia, including the Independence Visitor Center, Penn’s Landing, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Philadelphia Zoo.
- The 12th and Market stop is just one block from the conference venue. The Phlash bus runs every 12 minutes (10am-6pm). While the hours don't match up perfectly to conference programming, the PHLASH may be particularly useful if you'd like to stay an extra day to see the sites of Philadelphia.
- Single rides cost $2 each time you board (children under 6 and seniors, 65 and over, ride free).
- All-day passes are just $5 for an individual pass or $10 for a family pass (2 adults and 2 children, 6-17 years old). Tickets can be purchased at the Independence Visitor Center, located at 6th and Market Streets, or when getting on the trolley.
- PHLASH Bus Stops: Distinctive purple PHLASH buses connect key Center City visitors locations in a loop between Penn’s Landing and the Philadelphia Museum of Art. See the PHLASH route.
Cab stands are available at 30th Street (train) Station and the Philadelphia Airport (at every terminal).
- Flat fee fare PHL Airport to the conference venue is $28.50 (one-way).
- Estimated fare from 30th St (train) Station to the conference venue is $10 (one-way).
Philadelphia Taxi Cabs are regulated by the City of Philadelphia. Most fares are metered and will vary depending on route and driving conditions.
- First 1/10 mile (flag drop) or fraction thereof: $2.70
- Each additional 1/10 mile or fraction thereof: $0.25
- Each 38 seconds of wait time or fraction thereof: $0.25
- Airport flat rate (to and from Center City Zone): $28.50
For areas outside Center City, the Philadelphia Parking Authority has authorized the taxi drivers to add $1.50 per trip egress fee as an additional charge to the fare.
Center City Zone is defined between the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers as falling between South Street on the south and Fairmount Avenue on the north. West of the Schuylkill River to 38th Street between JFK Boulevard around 30th Street Station (2900 Arch Street) to its intersection with 32nd and Market Street and along a line west on Market to its intersection with 38th Street, south on 38th Street to its intersection with Spruce Street, east on Spruce Street to its intersection with South Street.